Search This Blog

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Have You Ever Eaten Your Words?

Photo Credit: theslimdiva.com
I was organizing the tags on my archived posts when I came across one about Tiny and Toya titled "Baby Mama Love"
Here were my thoughts...
"So has anyone seen the trailer to Tiny and Toya's new show? If you have please tell me wtf its about. I guess Toya is tryna put her name on the map and Tiny had to find something to do while T.I. is locked up but really? I guess I should blame BET for supporting this nonsense but I can't say i'm surprised. What's sadder, the fact that this is really a show or that I'm probably gonna be the first to watch? SMH."
Ouch! (LOL) Well, I was right about one thing...I was the first to watch. (SMH) But contrary to my expectations, the show was not the disaster I'd anticipated. In fact, i actually enjoyed it.

I can admit I prejudged the show and the women. The show was more about Tiny and Toya as individuals rather than them as extensions of their famous counterparts, but with all the debauchery that is female reality TV, I expected the worst...like a reality TV lovechild of Frankie and Neffe and Basketball Wives. Thankfully, such wasn't the case.

The women really seemed to be clear about their intention for the show as a means to set the record straight about their roles as "so and so's" baby mama. The record being, don't call them that. (Ya heard?!) The show even tackled issues in family life such as parents with issues of drug abuse (Toya's mother) and mental disease (Tiny's father). It wasn't the usual over-the-top show and tell of wealth mingled between dramatic cat fights *ahem* (Real Housewives of Atlanta). Anywho, it was...dare I say real?

With all the Amber Rose's and Kat Stacks' of the world on the hunt for the next gullible millionaire entertainer or athlete with a Napoleon complex exchanging money for validation from a beautiful woman, the show portrayed a more down to earth take on life as a trophy wife, exposing realities not so appealing to those looking for, in the words of Tasha Mack, the 3h's: homes, hedge funds and hummers.

Tiny struggled to help her mother cope with her father's Alzheimer's disease, while simultaneously holding down the home front while T.I. continued his stint in jail. (We'll have to address his latest return to the pen for a later post...I can't go there right now).

Toya tried to support her mother through rehab after years of drug abuse in their hometown of New Orleans, LA and re-establish herself as an individual after her high-profile relationship with Lil Wayne.

All the while the women SUPPORTED each other through their trials (imagine that) and raising their children. The show was about family and self-identity.

Ok, enough already right? All I'm trying to say is that I probably shouldn't have written them off so quickly.

Now, here's to hoping they don't do anything to cause me to retract this nice post. *fingers crossed*

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...