Search This Blog

Monday, January 10, 2011

Love That Girl...wish I could.

Photo Credit: shavarross.com
With all "The Game" frenzy ensuing as the 4th season premiere approaches, I somehow managed to catch TV One's original series "Love That Girl." And I have to say I was not impressed. In fact, I was very disappointed.

I tuned into the pilot season last year and wasn't liking what I was seeing. I even though the show got canceled after poor ratings. But no, somehow it survived the pilot season and crept its way into the line-up of new shows in the new year.


Yes, I know there aren't many black sitcoms on the air, although they are starting to resurface, but I can't support a show that's just not good.

And the fact that Martin Lawrence is behind this just adds insult to injury.

Perhaps I should stop ranting and say what issues I have with the show. But let me start with what I do like. I have always been a fan of Tatyana Ali. I've followed her from Fresh Prince to her web-series Buppies and even supported her short-lived music career. But sadly, she is the only thing this show has going for itself.

Tatyana's brother on the show played by Alphonso McAuley (Fat Albert, Glory Road) is funny, but over-the-top. His jokes would go over much more smoothly if not coupled with his unnatural enthusiasm. It made you not want to give him the laugh because he worked too hard for it.

But the two homosexual cast members make McAuley look like Ben Stein, the guy from the Clear Eyes commercial. I'm so over the foo-foo, hyper-feminine stereotype of gay characters. They are obnoxious to say the least.

Oh, but the show has enough stereotypes to go around. "Amunique" is the quintessential rainbow haired, ghetto hoochie with no sense working as a secretary in a business office. And by working I mean spending all day on the phone.

The storylines are unique at best, but are overshadowed by over-the-top characters with eccentric stereotypes.

Unfortunately, I'll be deleting this show from my DVR. Martin should have done better smh.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...