Search This Blog

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Now What Now?: Tyrese On Love and Marriage

I was enjoying an afternoon snack browsing my Twitter timeline when some foolishness popped up in a retweet. I don't follow Tyrese, though I do have much love for him as a musician. However, as a relationship counselor, I sometimes wish he would sit all the way down.

Before I weigh in, you know I like you all to read for yourself. Start from the bottom up.





Sighs...

Ok, I can't tell you how many times I've heard these same sentiments uttered from a modern-day male on the dating scene. I've even gotten hit with the "I can't date you, you're wifey material" line a couple times myself. What frustrates me about this mindset is that it eliminates the element of responsibility on the part of the gentleman. It's one thing to work together to build a relationship, but to suggest that women patiently wait for a man to "get it together" while he lives it up and does his dirt, just so at the end of the day she can win the ultimate title of wifey with a couple kids to boot is just pure stupidity. Yea I said it!

I disagree with Tyrese's challenge to women to "make us a better man." I'm sorry, I don't have super powers. If you lack the self-control and will to better yourself, than I lack the endurance to stand by and watch you flounder. I must move on to the next. I realize my tone may seem a bit callous and frank, and well... I'm not arguing with you there. But I will say, that I'm not heartless. I fully believe in looking at the present as well as the potential, but potential requires effort to become promising. And this "i'm a playa, but when I do get ready to settle down, the first one i'm calling is you" attitude is making promises with no effort.

Tyrese's friend was with his girl since they were 16, and although she "shared" him, when he was ready to grow up he married her and they have two children. And this is all because she waited. The problem is that you could be waiting for a day that will never come because in waiting, haven't you already proven that you tolerate this behavior? And wouldn't that increase the wait because why change? You're still around right?

I know plenty of stories where both parties in the relationship were young and just a mess and when they were older they put away childish things. It happens. But, the thought of being jerked along for the roller coaster ride when you can be elsewhere doing you is just irksome.

You shouldn't put the diamond on lay away if you know you can't afford to pay. Leave the treasure for someone worthy and willing to pay full price. Just sayin.

I could very well be wrong, doubt it though. Anyways, as always, these are just my thoughts.

But I'd like to hear yours.


2 comments:

  1. Dang, that was deep and so true! I totally agree with you! Its like guys are being lazy and want us to have the magic wand to "fix" them when they've grown tired of all the loose women and easy lays. I'm finding myself "waiting" for a guy that says "I've been really hurt in my past relationship and its like I've been traumatized...and I don't want to get hurt again." He says this when I am nothing like the other girl. We've known each other for 4 years. I honestly think he just wants to have his cake and eat it too. I believe he wants to keep me "the good one" around while he can do whatever he wants because he knows I'll be there waiting in the background. Smh. I know I should (and can) find someone who actually wants my time...but its like I'm using him as a crutch...I'm sorry, that was my Dr. Phil moment lol. But to make my already long story short(er), I totally agree with you and your opinion. Its refreshing to hear an intelligent female's opinion instead of the usual Maury rejects. Keep the topics coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. #Deep Loved it! When I wrote my blog about "Not Turning Back" I was really talking about relationships. As people grow together, things heat up and pressure builds. We have to be willing to fight and have faith. Some say love and only take you so far, true! The rest of the way is about how much fight and faith the two have as a team.

    J. Jelks

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...