Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Where are all the girl groups?

I was listening to a song online today and I had no idea who it was. So, I looked them up. The song was called "Get Your Swagger Right" by Rich Girl. I was surprised to find that it was a girl group and not a solo artist, which got me to thinking...

WHERE ARE ALL THE GIRL GROUPS?!

It seems like since Beyonce, Michelle, and Kelly fulfilled their "destiny" there hasn't been a truly successful girl group.

Sure, we had the Pussycat Dolls, but there were just too many to count and keep up with, and they all ended up blending in with each other.

Then there was Danity Kane, but they suffered the curse of P. "Can't Make a Band" Diddy. (sigh)

There was also some group Electrik Red, but they just seemed like a bunch of pretty girls stuck together.

The dynamics of a music group are always difficult as there is always someone who must stand out as the lead. Dealing with egos, varying salaries, fan bases, and personal issues can lead to disaster if not treated carefully.

Very few have managed to be successful and maintain longevity. But even the best of things must one day come to an end.

Here's my run down of some of the best girl groups

1. Martha and the Vandellas

Everyone always notes the Supremes, but Martha and the Vandellas were quite successful in their day. You may know some of there hits like "Heatwave," "Nowhere to Run," and "Dancing in the Street."

2. J.J. Fad

Who can forget their upbeat, funky hit "Supersonic." It made them the first female rap group to receive a Grammy nod.

3. SWV

SWV is undoubtedly one of the best female R&B groups of all time. SWV stood for "sisters with voices" and that's exactly what they were! Their smooth melodies were undeniable!

4. Brownstone

Bump what you heard, Brownstone was the ish back in the day! Those harmonies were insane!

5. Destiny's Child

You knew Destiny's Child would make the cut, but I have to say they had stiff competition like Total, and Xscape. But there was nothing like the original DC3. I still miss them. I hate when groups disband for solo careers :-/

Here's the song I was listening to earlier that started all of this.

RichGirl - Swagger Right .mp3
Found at bee mp3 search engine

We need to bring back the girl groups!


2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more. But I also stop to think about what happened to EVERYTHING. I mean where are all the good citcoms? Sure we are coming back around with the recent return of The Game and this new show Lets Stay Togehther, but we did take a step back or two or three or four with Love that Girl. Sure the Game presents a good drama and who doesnt love that but I mean where are the Cosby's and The Fresh Prince shows that I consider timeless, like the girl groups you mentioned. Where are all the male R&B groups?, R&B period? I once considered Usher to be R&B but he has now converted to pop. Where are all the good movies? Who can forget the comical classics from Eddie Murphy such as everyone's favorite Coming to America, Trading Places, 48 hours, Harlem Knights, just to name a few. And of course we can't forget about the drama...Soul Food, Set if Off, Waiting to Exhale. I miss throwback entertainment. Rap Sucks Now too LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree! Black entertainment is overall in a recession. And the faces that we do see are not the ones we want marked down in history as representative of our culture or our generation. Thanks for the comment, you've inspired another related post! (LOL) P.S. I am NOT a fan of Love that Girl either. The cliches and stereotypes are unbearable.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...